Google+

Monday, November 14, 2011

Apple and Cinnamon Cake for Remoska

My first attempt on baking in Remoska and it was a nice success. I decided to use apples because they are cheap and I could finally start saving money :) Apple and cinnamon is a well known combination that just goes well together. I used about a spoon of vanilla sugar and I've heard that it is not so common in other countries. So in case anyone was interested in making their own, just get white sugar in a jar, stick a vanilla bean in it and in two weeks you have a jar of vanilla sugar. Or use vanilla extract instead I guess :)

Back to the cake. I didn't use any recipe, I tried going with what I know (almost the same ratio of flour and sugar, mix egg with milk, use butter) and see how it turns out. Maybe I used bit too much baking powder for my small remoska. The cake rose dramatically and the top got slightly burned but it was nothing that a knife wouldn't fix.

I'll see how good it is tomorrow but right now when it is still warm, it is DELICIOUS!

Apple and Cinnamon cake for Remoska
for one hungry person or two not-so-hungry:
Before the

  • 200g flour + a bit more to flour the pan
  • 150g white sugar
  • tablespoon vanilla sugar
  • teaspoon baking powder
  • a pinch of salt
  • 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
  • 1 egg
  • 50g butter + a bit more to grease the pan
  • 125ml milk
  • one red apple

  1. Combine the dry goods well in a large bowl and the wet ones in a smaller bowl.
  2. Cut the apple in half, get rid of the seeds and slice both halves into medium thick slices.
  3. Pour the contents of the smaller bowl into the larger one and stir well.
  4. Grease and flour the pan. Then pour the mixture in it and place slices on the top. Push them into the batter a bit. Cover in cinnamon lightly.
  5. Cook for about 20 minutes. If a knife slid into the centre comes out clean, it's done. If not, pull out of the socket and try to bake it in residual heat. Let cool for a while but serve stll warm.

No comments: